9,500 Words Verbatim Challenge - 'The Greatest Salesman In The World' by Og Mandino

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 10 December, 2015 - 19:27

9,500 Words Verbatim Challenge - 'The Greatest Salesman In The World' by Og Mandino

The Greatest Salesman in the World, by Og Mandino -- Have you read this wonderful piece of distilled inspiration?

This little gem of a book contains 10 scrolls of wisdom. Each one of them contains a principle to drive bad habits from your life and replace it with a good one. The goal is to memorize each single scroll verbatim. That's about 9,500 words.

The scroll's titles are:

1. Today I begin a new life.
2. I will greet this day with love in my heart
3. I will persist until I succeed
4. I am nature's greatest miracle
5. I will live this day as if it is my last
6. Today I will be master of my emotions
7. I will laugh at the world
8. Today I will multiply my value a hundred-fold
9. I will act now
10. I will pray for guidance

So far I memorized almost 3 out of 10 scrolls, that's 2,963 of 9,430 words verbatim already.
My current strategy is proceed slowly but surely by adding each day about 2-3 sentences.

11 December, 2015 - 08:57

I don't know I can memorise it word by word or not but THINK YOU SO MUCH for sharing the book. I downloaded it and it's awesome. Just the book I needed. I will memorise it BY HEART

11 December, 2015 - 20:59

Isn't this a wonderful book? :)

You can listen to all ten scrolls here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEODIAnhGuU

12 December, 2015 - 02:48

Yes its wonderful. Thank you for the link. By surfing that I found out this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HCUct4NlxE0 interesting. He made millions!

12 December, 2015 - 14:46

Hi Rumburak,
I am interested in knowing how you are going with the verbatim challenge. May I know how long it will take you to recite a paragraph (of maybe 100 words)?

I mean is it possible to travel through the memory palace fast enough to retrieve the information stored in each loci such that you can recite the paragraph at normal reading speed?

Thanks

13 December, 2015 - 02:03

Hi m1313s,

For the scrolls I do no t use any special memory techniques. I'm using a simple system I learned from William Walker Atkinson's book called "Memory Culture."

He named it the Cumulative System for it does not involve any memory techniques but instead focuses on building your ability to recall information. Basically it's the way how people memorized 'sacred teachings' and philosophies the same size of the bible or even larger.

I thought, why not give it a try and make this one a personal experiment. And it turned out to be a very enjoyable experiment.

Here's what you do:
1st Day: Commit to memory one or two sentences. Whatever feels more convenient to you. I suggest to start very slowly. Repeat it from memory aloud.

2nd Day: Review yesterday's sentence(s) and add one more today. Review both together...aloud.

3rd Day
: Add your third sentence and continue in like manner for the following days.

After some time, you'll see, it will become much easier to recollect information (2-3 weeks) and you may want to add more information to your memory per day.

Avoid repeating aloud anything you are not sure about... rather consult your book in this case, no matter how often you need to.

Review the whole text daily aloud.

Soon, you'll find, this process will be very enjoyable and the text will become part of your active thinking and you'll be able to use any piece of it anytime in conversations.

Quote:

I am interested in knowing how you are going with the verbatim challenge. May I know how long it will take you to recite a paragraph (of maybe 100 words)?

I mean is it possible to travel through the memory palace fast enough to retrieve the information stored in each loci such that you can recite the paragraph at normal reading speed?

Per day I memorize about 50 - 75 words now.

And, if you use this method, you will be able to recite the text, from memory, without hesitation.

22 December, 2015 - 10:15

Almost done with the 3rd scroll today (3213 Words). It just needs a few more reviews within the next 2-3 days then I should be able to review it quickly without using the source text.

23 December, 2015 - 10:42

Are you split-testing Atkinson's method with memory techniques? It would be interesting to know which approach gets you more R.O.I.

23 December, 2015 - 22:56

Quote:

Are you split-testing Atkinson's method with memory techniques? It would be interesting to know which approach gets you more R.O.I.

Not yet, but that would be interesting to test. So far I only used mnemo techniques for other info and shorter texts (non-verbatim).

If I'd need to compare both principles..:

Atkinson:
- You can start on-the-go. No prep needed.
- High maintenance and time consuming because of necessary reviews
- If you stop reviewing, the memory will fade rather quickly
- The memorized info is quickly available and can be quoted and applied anytime without digging through palaces
-> Preferred for verbatim memorization of large texts?

Memory Techniques

- A lot of prep-work (if memory palace used)
- Low maintenance once filed away in palace
- Info will stick long time if filed away properly
- Depending on the set-up and previous reviews, the info may not be as fluently available as in the Atkinson Method
-> Preferred for large amounts of factual information?

30 January, 2016 - 00:22

Update:

I made slow progress the last month because work occupied a big part of my time, but eventually... I've finally reached the 5th scroll and have memorized 4,245 words by now. That's about 45% of my challenge.

Also, in addition to that, I've memorized 3 sales letters from a marketing book, (1,250 words) for fun and to improve my English and marketing know how.

2 September, 2016 - 03:06

Bump... Did you manage to finish it? I'm curious

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: