absorb lectures and never take notes

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 18 September, 2013 - 22:14

absorb lectures and never take notes

in a lot of classes i had, the instructor would put a lot of the information to be on test into their lectures (which usually included a powerpoint). i found that it really isn't necessarily to take notes as long as you pay attention and encode all the useful points into images that can be stored along one or more journeys.

i usually review the images i created a few times recalling what they mean, and spacing out the reviews. since i started doing this i found it far more convenient than pencil paper notes, plus your instructor can't prevent you from using it on your test!

the result in my case is good grades and (almost) effortless absorption of an entire lecture.

2 October, 2013 - 14:24
Mod
Mod's picture

Your method sounds good and easy to practise. When I was in undergraduate, I had this issue to try to write down everything the teacher said so that I wouldn't miss anything once I would be at home. It was an uncessary pressure:

*Comprehension and mindmapping the logical connections are more important than the details. Also, it takes way less time to do so - and you can do it WHILE you attend the lecture. Then, as you said, you can space out the reviews so that it remains in your long-term memory.

*There are "standard" books that contain all the details you need for each part of the lecture. It's therefore useless to waste your time on details unless those are really unique details that you can't find in a standard book.

23 December, 2014 - 10:11

Not bad but why not both?

16 May, 2015 - 15:53

I agree with Mod. In medical school, I went to almost all of the lectures and wrote down what the lecturer said vociferously. I did not know shorthand, but I quickly developed my own shorthand using lots of abbreviations and symbols and omitting vowels as I wrote. It seems to me the pressure of having to get it all down during the confines of the lecture period (usually 50 minutes) made me be better able to learn the material as it was delivered. This did not work as well when the test over that lecture was not imminent.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: