Anyone into Speedcubing?

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
3 January, 2016 - 22:52

Hey guys I am into Cubing as well. My best time is 7.34 seconds and I use skip OLL and PLL techniques along with WVLS and VHLS. I have been doing it for almost a year now.

4 January, 2016 - 22:18

Hi Karan,

That is very impressive. Congratulations on your result!
Me, I just started again after 34 years. I remember solving the cube as a kid. I was born in 1967, so I was 14 years old when the Rubik's cube came out.

After relearning solving the cube using the basic method, I am now teaching myself intuitive F2L.

How many algorithms are there to learn for the skip methods?

5 January, 2016 - 05:34

There are quite a few. I learned all those algorithms from this site: "http://sarah.cubing.net/". It is really nice that you have started to start cubing again. It has helped me in a lot of things including improving my memory. Just a tip, instead of creating journeys for the algorithms, very slowly perform them and do them again. This would create a mental video in your subconscious which will get triggered whenever you see the case again. That's how I remembered them. Hope this helps Kinma.
Thank you.
K.

10 January, 2016 - 09:57

Mostly my times end up between 1 minute and 1:30, though today I did have a nice, smooth run that ended up on 51.46 seconds

11 January, 2016 - 03:05

Here are more tips for people who want to go from the beginners method to full scale CFOP or also called Fridrich Method.
This is the way I approach this.

First learn intuitive F2L.
Instead of learning the 41 algorithms I move the corner and the edge to the top layer (assuming they are not already there). Also I make sure the corner and the edge are not together.
Then there are only 3 cases to solve (yellow color on the left, right or top).
Might take one or two turns more compared to the algorithmic F2L. However; you save a lot of turns compared to the beginners method.

Full scale OLL and PLL demands a steep learning curve. There are almost 80 algorithms to learn.
If you start with the 2-look OLL & PLL, then there are only 9 algorithms to learn.
The 9 algorithms that you learn are also used in the full version of OLL/PLL so this is not wasted and can always move to learn the rest.

It is a nice way as an intermediate method.

Karan; thank you for the tips. This is indeed what I am now doing. I don't focus on speed, just on seeing what moves I can eliminate in my F2L.
I focus on specific cases.
For example when the yellow corner is on top, I try to figure out how to quickly get the edge aligned to it.
What I do is, in each solve, I change all cases into this case. A (R, U2, R') usually take care of turning the corner.
I try to remember what slots are free so I can use them.
Usually I do the cross and the middle layer in 28-35 turns.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: