Best method to memorize a textbook?

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
1 December, 2013 - 19:59

I wanted to add a link from this thread to the newer thread about memorizing nonfiction books. It's an interesting discussion.

29 August, 2014 - 12:55
23 May, 2016 - 11:31

Hello Yan.

I found this comment very useful and informative.

Quote:

There are many other techniques I've developed but I don't know whether it will work for you. Some of them have to do with speed reading, time management, visualization, etc.

Could you please elaborate more about the "speed reading and time management" techniques you mentioned while reading a book.

Thanks

26 May, 2016 - 08:34

Anthony Metivier has an interesting podcast about it.

4 January, 2017 - 08:40

If creation of Memory Palace is that difficult for you, use this technique. Let's say you got 10 chapters to memorise. Associate first chapter with one location. Construct a unique visual image corresponding to the first topic of the first chapter. It is best if you can link the topic to a person or in other ways it is helpful to have a person as a visual image. It is very important that this person reminds you of that topic and vice versa. Now create a story with this person as a main character. Make the story underline all important concepts in the logical order in which they are presented. Create different person for each concept and different story for each elaboration. Link these people together and put them in the location. For each chapter create a location. That said, you will have 10 locations which you need to put in a logical order(journey/palace). Also you will have quite a many people. Each will tell you a different story which you can decode to create facts. The key here is to practise active recall as frequently as possible. With time you will get advanced and won't require much time to create story and that is when you will be competent to memorise a textbook in an equivalent time as you take to read it verbally.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: