Bones in the human body

4 replies [Last post]
Richie_UK's picture

OK, I've decided for my next little challenge that I'm going to memorise all 206 bones in the human body. Now I know that we have a few posters here with a medical background so ... what did you find was the most effective approach?

sleightly's picture
Re: Bones in the human body

umm.. learning bones with clinical stuff helps as it gives a memory hook to remember the bones. Learning bones without any sort of clinical relevance can be done, albeit more likely to forget. I think the best way to learn the bones would be to find the etymology of a bone, i.e. ulna in latin means elbow (could image ogre falling on elbow?), and if possible try to reach a point where you can draw all the bones of the body off by heart. Hope this helps

Richie_UK's picture

Thanks for that.

sleightly wrote:
... Learning bones without any sort of clinical relevance can be done, albeit more likely to forget...

I like a challenge Smile

mentalglitch's picture

one of my good friends remembered all of the bones in the human body with a kind of sadistic memory scheme. This especially helped her with the bones in the head, which there are surprisingly more names for the stuff in the skull then I actually thought. There are also specific names for the little holes in the jaw and everything. She would say what bones she would be cutting or stabbing if she used a shank and machete and had a story to go along with it that included every bone. She couldn't name them off without thinking of the story though.

Yan's picture
Yan

I go from top to bottom starting with the big bones. I know all the big bones by heart. I start with each bone and create a story for each bone. One story will be for the ligaments on the bones, the other for the holes, the other for the muscle insertions, etc.

Like the humerus will have 3 stories: tendons and ligaments, muscle insertions, arteries and veins.

I use the bone's various parts as journeys.

Hope it is clear to you all.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Memory Competitions and Tournaments

User login

For Schools

Students and teachers: fill out this form to get assistance with forming a memory club at your school along with its own section on ArtOfMemory.com. It's free!