Expand your palace without disrupting the structure or purpose

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 10 December, 2014 - 23:07

Expand your palace without disrupting the structure or purpose

I have reach the problem of running out of space in my old house. Its just to small for the translation of 100 numbers to vivid images! I need help and tips with expanding/improving my memory palace to allow me to store more information. I believe every opinion is useful to a certain degree. So if you think it can help then SAY IT! Thank You!

11 December, 2014 - 02:27

Here is a guide to creating journeys; you could create more memory palaces. Other than that, you could try having smaller loci that are closer together. This works well in your home(or old home) because you know those places VERY well. Imagine yourself the size of a cat, then look for loci.

Another thing you could do, is expand outside your house. You probably know the houses close to your own home, as well as the next couple streets. Perhaps there's a park you used to walk to?

Bateman

11 December, 2014 - 05:53

One technique is to have floor level, eye level and ceiling level loci, even with boring empty box rooms you can have up to ten loci normally (door, wall left of door, s.w. corner left of door, wall west of door, corner n.w of door etc etc), this would give you now 30 loci in the one box room.

Another takes your original loci but changes the viewing angle. So the first pass is the normal view, the next a bird's eye top-down view. I think this would be easier than the above, as I tend to have people floating and all sorts so I suspect I'd confuse aspects using the floor, eye, ceiling view. Obviously you may be better at that than I.

Yet another technique changes the environment, you could have the regular view, then a winter scene, a beach etc. Here you see the same building / rooms / loci, but now everything is covered in snow (or whatever). I like this idea a lot but haven't had occasion to use it. One of the other threads is discussing the learning of a Henry V speech and I'm minded to use this technique on that to see how it goes.

11 December, 2014 - 07:48

Here is the post Liam was referring to.

Earlier today, I actually wrote(not on the forum) in some length about different viewpoints, and looking at loci in different ways, and I did so maybe a week ago as well(on the forum, can't find the comment though), so your reply Liam really disoriented me. Did I write that? How does he know? :D

Actually, here's what I wrote earlier today:

"You can view your loci from different angles, and they will look completely different. Since this changes the image, you can now use the same locus multiple times, without getting confused. R30 gave the example of when you follow a journey and go inside your home, you visualize a lion on your doorstep. The background of that would be the door to your home and the wall around it. If you flip the journey, turn around, when exiting the house you still see the doorstep, but the background is different, now it’s the street next to your house, your lawn, cars, whatever else is there. This enables you to place another image in the doorstep.
Randomly doing this to a single locus isn’t as effective as doing it to a whole journey. Pick a journey to do this to, go to the last locus normally, turn around, and now follow the journey from the end to the beginning. You look at each locus from a 180 degree different viewpoint. Since it looks completely different(ie: The front of a person vs the back of the person), you have now doubled the journey. Using the same location, the same path through it, but looking in a different direction is one of the easiest ways to expand your memory palaces. Some more possibilities are to look at each locus from a top down perspective, look at each locus from an ant’s perspective(From the floor), and more, each of these giving you more loci. "

So you can see why I was confused Liam :P

Bateman

11 December, 2014 - 07:52

And the "changing environment" technique Liam talks about is described here.

11 December, 2014 - 12:20

Ha that's funny.

I really like your idea of turning around on the journey / palace when you get to the end and doing it backwards from a different angle.

After I posted earlier I was thinking about how you could do a journey and take it from the four seasons. First time through would be "normal", then do (exaggerated) spring, summer, autumn (fall!) and winter. As you'd always do the seasons in order it shouldn't get confusing as to the ordering whereas I can see the beach / snow scenes perhaps would.

11 December, 2014 - 14:05

It's really r30's idea. Here. (He wrote that part of the memory palace page, as well as others, see 'history')

Yes, that does sound interesting. Try it out, tell us how it goes.

Bateman

13 December, 2014 - 12:21

Thank you for the advice! It really did help with me turning 100 numbers into objects. I had to use two different seasons in order to get them all the numbers in my palace. Im still amaze how easy it was to just add leaves or snow to my palace to allow me look at the same area before without confusing it with the previous number.

14 December, 2014 - 07:28

That's fantastic, thank you for sharing your experience and for applying the technique.

19 December, 2014 - 22:28

Thanks, very interesting!

1 January, 2017 - 11:19

I have just come across this post and thought you might be interested in the method I use.

Ask yourself if you can visualise a separate individual or object at each location. For instance, say your first loci is the set of stairs leading to your first floor; you can imagine different objects at this location: use these different objects as pegs,

I've previously spoken about creating different pegs using 20 letters of the alphabet -
here Simply use these different pegs at each loci.

For instance, have an ant on the stairs and have it interact with whatever you're trying to memorise. Once you've used up all your loci return to the stairs and this time have a 'bear' interact with whatever it is you want to remember; continue until you've worked yourself through the alphabet, then just use the a different category.

Hope this helps.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: