Giordano Memorization System (GMS) - The "Scientology of memory systems"?

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
17 July, 2013 - 11:53

hehehe

i think there are a lot of people with this kind of knowledge but the general public has no clue about this topic at all.

17 July, 2013 - 12:45
khuram (not verified)
khuram's picture

This GSM sucks though!

17 July, 2013 - 13:03

Dont know why you guys hate the programms.
I thought it contains a collection of all relevant mnemno-technics. Obviously it is way to expensive for a product like thisone.

Hopw i fare better with "how to develop a perf. memory by dominic o-brien.

17 July, 2013 - 13:14
khuram (not verified)
khuram's picture

GSM is just hilarious :D and you can find GSM manual by googling

17 July, 2013 - 18:28

i got that programm, i sed it for awhile. It was exhausting.

23 January, 2015 - 13:40

There are a couple of things wrong with GMS:

1. Pushy, condescending and suspicious, ad campaign.
2. Starts with the hard stuff first
3. Costs way too much for its material
4. No new info

That said, I am currently going through the GMS manual/lessons (its an old version, but I think the info should be the same) and its not all bad.

First lets address number 2 from above (1 and 3 are indisputable truths :P):

GMS is insanely tiring and difficult right from the beginning. Right after explaining a basic mnemonic method, the author expects the reader to use the method and memorize 20 pieces of information, then 30. (Hilariously, near the end of lesson 6 he states that a person should not try to use some of the methods taught (chain and doll) to link more than 20 items, if he wants to remember them long-term (isn't that the point? :P))

However, I believe the author is simply following the age-old addage: "The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in war" (or similar such expressions). Basically the beginning is intentionally difficult, so that the later lessons are "easy". Furthermore the exercises are far beyond than what is required in actual memorization (20 bits instead of 5) so that actual memorization is effortless.

This, while a terrible way to teach (modern pedagogy, uses a simple to complex, easy to hard approach), is very effective if the student has the will and patience for it (and time). Furthermore, the early difficulty is supposed to increase attention span and endurance, so it is supposed to be tiring. You need to tire and wear out the brain with excessive stimulus, so that it can adapt to it (with the reinforcement of neuronal pathways).

Now back to the other concerns:

1. GMS doesn't contain any new information

This...is actually true, to certain extent. There are new ideas (the database) but nothing worth paying such an exorbitant amount for. However, GMS is far more robust than the Dominic System (can't speak for the others, as I have not studied them). I've read Quantum Memory by Dominic, its very bare-bones. It teaches you several methods (though they are all Method of Loci) for memorizing different types of information (vocab, trivia, names, numbers etc.). However there is nothing systematic about it (except for the number system) the book seems more like a collection of tricks than an actual cohesive, comprehensive whole. I personally could not take to the number system either (I have a very hard time with faces and people), but I have no doubt, it is very effective for those who can use it.

Here the thing, GMS creates an actual system from the ground up. A system for memorizing anything, limited only by your patience and imagination (and endurance and attention, but the first part of the course is supposed to take care of that). The database really does allow the memorization of enormous amounts of information, but few people get up to it because most will give up on the first part (as well they should, since the database requires a lot of energy and attention to set up). The database also uses a multiple methods to create a cohesive whole, rather than repeat the same method for different types of information (a la Dominic).

2. Testimonials are suspicious

Yeah, there is no getting around this either. All I can say is look in the forums, there are actual graduates of the course there and they seem much more truthful and reliable than the dodgy testimonials.

3. Too expensive

This is my biggest problem with the course, but even this can be explained by the fact that you are buying a support team along with the course. There are actual graduates who you can talk to and get advice from, you also get access to the forums with other students. All in all...still too damn rich for my blood :P

But then, you can get the meat of the info from the net anyway so...

4. No competitors using the system

This is probably because so few people actually graduate from the system (I think it was like 1-2%!) and also because most of the students (from what I can tell) are medical students using the system to pass medical exams. I don't imagine students like these have the spare time (or desire) to participate in memory competitions. The other thing, might be that its not very well known. Since Dominic is world-famous, his techniques are world famous. Ruslan is a nobody and are so are his techniques (well, there not really his anyway, but I digress...).

In conclusion, yes, GMS is hard, suspicious, expensive and old, but its also effective, free (if you know where to look) and systematic. Give it a try before lambasting it on the level of Scientology as it does have things to offer that you won't find with Dominic or the others.

15 May, 2015 - 00:08

just posted a post about all of your "analysis" here - http://mt.artofmemory.com/forums/phenomenal-memory-good-or-bad-2318.html...

everything I wrote there applies to all posts in this thread also.

All this stuff is so pathetic.

Scientology of memory systems. :) lol give me a break!

20 July, 2016 - 11:11

Hi, guys. I am a newcomer here, so my post can be treated as a kind of defense in favor of GMS and Ruslan. However, I believe that Ruslan has the same relation to the Giordano system as a translator to a book. But this translator obtained a copyright to it.
The system was created or rather adopted by Vladimir Kozarenko in early nineties and Ruslan seems to be just a reseller in an English segment of the Internet. Having familiarized with his site and relevant resources I may agree that it looks like a kind of scientology.
But, I have passed the course in Russian and didn’t have impression like pmemory does with it site and other moments. Everything was far friendlier – like when talking with a good teacher. There were no signs of scientology or something like that. The price was also much cheaper and I liked this system a lot.
Recently, I also stumbled upon a program for learning English grammar, made on the Kozarenko’s system. It is called English Your Mind. You may get familiarized with it on Google play market. It seems that this program will show you the basic features of the system (there are a lot, however, that was not used in it).
There is also another program called Mnemocon that is based completely on the first 12 lessons from the system (it is entirely free, but it is in Russian). In addition, there are some books written by Kozarenko (also in Russian) that presents you the system. So, there is plenty of information on this system in ru-segment of the Internet and it is absolutely free.
Also, I would add that Kozarenko did not invent the system (he claims it frankly in his book). He has selected known mnemonics and adopted them into the system that allows you to memorize any type of information. Then he split the information into the 60 lessons (the first 12 are the base which shows you the most used methods). And connection of the static images, if memory serves me correct, was patented by soviet inventor in 70-ies.
So, it seems to me that Ruslan simply made this system repellent for the general English speaking audience by his marketing strategy.

PS. Bahihs, I am fully agree with you on every point.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: