Help Setting Goals

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 30 June, 2012 - 22:28

Help Setting Goals

I'm new. I've learned a few lists with journey and loci. I learned the major system and memorized all of my credit card numbers. Pretty cool stuff.

Problem is, I'm having trouble setting some short term goals and quiet frankly long term goals.

I'm interested in memorization for retention more than speed and I like knowing things. I'm a disciplined practicer and I can study every day. I understand the techniques. I just don't know where to focus. I know you need long term goals to have short terms goals that you can build a daily practice routine out of.

Can someone suggest some goals and the reasoning behind them?

Thank you in advance!
meta

1 July, 2012 - 04:37

Hi Meta,

Welcome to the forum.

A long term goal could be learning a new language and a derived short term goal would then be learn 100 new words.
Daily practice will then be to learn 20-50 new words.

The reasoning is simple. This will give you some focus, you can play around with the techniques and see which one suits you best and it will give you both short term and long term goals.

A very long term goal could be becoming a hyperpolyglot.
Btw. does anybody know how many languages one needs to speak before calling oneself a hyperpolyglot? 6?

1 July, 2012 - 10:27

I always set long-term goals for myself, to. It's always something that looks crazy to me, that I'll never be able to achieve, but I know that with practice I'll get there! One of my goals is to get card memorisation to under 30 seconds, I'm a long way off that, so my current goal is to get sub-5 minutes (since I changed system, my card times took a hit and I haven't taken the time to train them to a good level again).
Another goal is 400 digits in 5 minutes, I'm at 80-ish right now, fluctuating a wee bit, but I'm quickly approaching my first short term goal of 100!

Like Kinma said languages are a great long-term goal, and his short term goals are a good idea, but they're individual to you. You might prefer to start off learning topic by topic, as opposed to learning random words.

Not everything is a dichotomy between short-term and long-term goals, too. You might decide you want to learn a set piece of information, like the periodic table. You may very well have that learned in 2 days, it's just like a short project for you.

1 July, 2012 - 12:45

Hype, as always, a great post!

meta x zen wrote:

Problem is, I'm having trouble setting some short term goals and quiet frankly long term goals.

That happens a lot. Just start with achieving an arbitrary short term goal. The success of that inspires to go for the next short term goal.

This works until one reaches a plateau. This will happen to Hype.
His goal is 400 digits and he is fluctuating around 80. He needs a break-through so he can reach 160.
Now I do not know Hype any longer than most of us on this forum, so I might be off, but I think he is trying hard to break that 80 digit barrier. If this is hat case and the successes are small a whole different approach is needed.

1 July, 2012 - 14:41

Kinma wrote:

Hype, as always, a great post!

meta x zen wrote:

That happens a lot. Just start with achieving an arbitrary short term goal. The success of that inspires to go for the next short term goal.

This works until one reaches a plateau. This will happen to Hype.
His goal is 400 digits and he is fluctuating around 80. He needs a break-through so he can reach 160.
Now I do not know Hype any longer than most of us on this forum, so I might be off, but I think he is trying hard to break that 80 digit barrier. If this is hat case and the successes are small a whole different approach is needed.

Nah, no big problems as of yet. It's been pretty steady improvement. Just hit 90 out 96 digits recalled before I settled down to watch the football (Jordi Alba. You hero.). No doubt that I'm going to hit a plateau soon, and when that happens, I'll let everyone know how I overcome it. ;) Most likely through old brute Scottish force.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.