Here is a list of famous people

16 replies [Last post]
rtr's picture
rtr

I have created a list of famous people to use for the P part of PAO. It's attached. The list has 4093 entries currently.

I got the majority of the names from the "Celebrity Birthday" type of websites, so some of the names are people I have never heard of, but those people might be meaningful to someone else so I left them in the list. I also left all names in the list so it would be useful regardless of which encoding system you use (Dominic, GMS, create your own, etc).

Some of the entries are the same person with a slight modification. For instance, there is an entry for "Leonardo Da Vinci" (with initials LV) and also "Leonardo Da-Vinci" (with initials LD). That way if someone needs a person for LV or LD, there will be an option for them, and it's up to them not to use the same person twice.

I removed some punctuation (mainly 'apostrophes'), in case anyone wanted to try and use the second letter of the last name (maybe for a 1000 person list). So "Conan O'Brien" is in the list as "Conan OBrien".

I also removed name suffixes, so "Martin Luther King Jr." is just "Martin Luther King". I had a script generate the initials from the last name in the list, so I left off suffixes, otherwise MLK would have MJ for his initials, which isn't really what we want.

For name prefixes, there are two or three entries. For example, "Dr. Phil McGraw", "Phil McGraw", and "Dr. Phil", so you could use him for three different initials. Again it's up to you not to use people twice. Same goes for "Sir Edmund Hillary", he's also "Edmund Hillary". A few others are present twice, such as "Mr. Rogers" and "Fred Rogers", because he's more commonly known as just Mr. Rogers.

It's possible there are some mis-spelled names, since I just wrote a script to pull the names from birthday websites. I didn't see spelling as a big deal, because we are primarily interested in the initials, and I at least expect those to be correct.

The initials.txt file could be renamed to initials.csv and opened in Excel if you so choose. The data is formatted as CSV (comma separated values). The list is already sorted by initials.

If anyone else has a similar list, I can combine the lists pretty easily. I already wrote the scripts that will add people with their initials and remove any duplicates.

Hope this helps someone.

AttachmentSize
initials.txt70.81 KB
Josh Cohen's picture
Webmaster
Re: Here is a list of famous people

Great list... thanks for posting. Smile

Larry's picture

Fantastic. Thanks!

drsleep8's picture

Yes thank you. Could be very useful.

Reinaruld's picture

thank you so much!

Shifaa's picture

Thank you so much!!!! I'm sittin here tryin to concentrate on conjuring up people out of a long list of letters n i'm like 'BS? Buh buh bucko? Bluh bluh blueberry?'. Hahahahaha totally at a loss.

alnesf's picture

Where were you before I start, that is a time saver, thanks a lot rtr.

alnesf's picture

Finished the 100 list P part going to the A O part. Man you saved my time, within three hours I filled the gap.

mrdurdenx's picture

Great list.

Elijah Lynn's picture

This is gold!!

I created a Google Sheet out of this that anyone with a link can edit. So, if you have more additions then go ahead and add it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao7tip0c_KEtdHZtbnoxNkJEOWV...

Mukkinese's picture

Brilliant resource. Thank you.

Huggy's picture

Again, thank you for the time and effort on this!! Was beginning to wonder where some of my PAO's were going to come from!! Smile

globalbizz's picture

Crikey that must have taken you for ever. Well done. And congrats on your patience! Smile

Yan's picture
Yan

Awesome resource man! You are the best! Smile Josh needs to add this too to the Wiki.

Josh Cohen's picture
Webmaster

I will add it now. Smile

AndrewS's picture

Terrific! Thank you so much! Smile

khuram's picture
khuram (not verified)

@shifaa BS 26 BERNARD SHAH WRITTING A NOVEL

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Memory Competitions and Tournaments

User login

For Schools

Students and teachers: fill out this form to get assistance with forming a memory club at your school along with its own section on ArtOfMemory.com. It's free!