how do you practice memorising a new deck on a daily basis?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 21 October, 2014 - 16:09

how do you practice memorising a new deck on a daily basis?

I have just managed to memorise a full deck of cards, it took me a while but now I know each card with it's location like the back of my hand.

I used the Dominic system which is PA, I used 26 locations in my house to remember 52 cards. It took me about 30 minutes or so to accomplish this. I want to practice more and more so that I can remember a deck in under 5 minutes, that's my goal.

My problem now is;
I only used my house for my first deck, when I tried to use my house again to remember the second deck, I started to get confused with the cards from the first deck.
Does this mean We have to have a different location/place for each deck?
or is it possible to wipe out the first deck and replace with the new one each practice?

how do you practice memorising a new deck or maybe 2 or 3 decks on a daily basis?

21 October, 2014 - 21:11

I'm quite new to this myself but I've been learning how to memorise numbers with a journey/palace. What I've found is that the memories you place aren't as strong/vivid as the background, meaning they will fade enough to reuse within a day or two. As a means of helping me solidify my palaces (I only have 2 at the moment...) I've been walking through them before I sleep and ensuring I picture them empty. Other than that, probably try not to continue to revisit information you don't want to keep and natural forgetting will take care of it.
So that you can continue to practice without fear of interference from previous memories, it would be a very good idea to collect more palaces and rotate through them. There's quite a few posts around to give you ideas for that if you're struggling.
Use a workplace if you have one, friends houses. Outside walks around a botanical garden if you have one nearby. University campuses tend to be marvelously diverse. Lots of possibilities.
Search the forums for stuff about erasing memories, or re-using palaces for more information.
Hope that helps :)

21 October, 2014 - 23:51

That was very informative, Thank you.
I will do a search for erasing memories, or re-using palaces.

21 October, 2014 - 23:54

I still would like to know how you guys are practising to memorise a new deck or a few decks on a daily basis,
Do you use a few locations such as your home for the first deck, library for the second etc?
what do you do then to memorise the new deck? do you repeat the same locis for the new decks?

It's interesting to learn and share what others do to practise.

7 November, 2014 - 12:20

Personally I started with this about 3 months ago and am now working on getting under 1 minute (1:04 is the record). What I did when I started was to create 5 different routes around my hometown, I then took turns with them, when I got back to the first the memories from the first deck had faded, so that worked well for me.

I might add that when I got faster the said problem kind of vanished, allthough I have noticed that creating new lokis keeps my mind on edge so its allways good to make new lokis to try at.

8 November, 2014 - 04:58

That's a big achievement if you can memorise a deck of cards within a minute or just over a minute, especially within the 3 months of practicing it.

I use the Dominic system, I did manage to memorise a deck in about 6.5 minutes and never beat it yet.
I don't have a problem memorising a pair with PA or PO, my problem is it takes a good few seconds before I can place the PA or PO before I can move to my next loci,

How can I improve on this so I can do it faster?

9 November, 2014 - 13:31

Thanks alot, I've been a bit obsessed actually ;)

The best tip II can give is to walk the paths in your head between the actual cardmemorizing and also to go faster than what you actually can, it doesent matter if you miss a few cards when you first speed up, it will work eventually, that's how U do anyway :)

9 November, 2014 - 18:10

Thank you, it's a good tip.

I have 26 loci for each deck, so I use PA or PO, but I find that the reason why it's taking me a longer time than I would like is because I still have to remember 26 People, once I remember the person then the other person's action or object just appears.

Do you not find remembering 26 people is still a challenge one after another?

9 November, 2014 - 20:12

Hi all...I personally use a pao (person action object) system and it seems to work best for me!!! I can memorize a deck of cards regularly at around 2 minutes. My goal is to break the 1 minute barrier also!!!!

If you are using a po or pa system, you have to use 26 locations!!! If you upgrade your system to a pao then you only need 17 locations!!! This is a huge advantage in my opinion! Also you only need a journey with 17 locations, instead of 26, so its easier to make more journeys!!!

I personally use the same journey each day, but I never use a journey twice in one day!! I have 3 to 4 main journeys that I prefer to use. If for some reason one journey is giving me trouble, I just switch to a new one!! As for forgetting, I personally can forget the old images in about 1 to 2 days!!!

Random Tip: I often practice 1/2 decks to get my speed up...I find it a lot easier, mentally, to break the decks in half!! I start with half a deck, recall, and take notice of what I am doing wrong. Then I will take a 2 minute break to get focused again and then start the next half of the deck! I usually just do 3 1/2 decks but I have found this has helped me improve my speed most!

Good luck everyone with their practice!! Great to see so many newbies haha :) P.S. I am a newbie too!!!

10 November, 2014 - 01:23

PAO Sounds like something to try, I go for PA but I'm wondering, it seems like it would be easy to confuse the images, what object did he/she use, is that a problem for you?

By the way how do you check your cards when memorizing, I have always laid them in pairs on the table before turning over them but it got hard to do fast enough so since yesterday I hold them like I saw Reinhardt did when he bet the record but that is hard to fokus on :/

10 November, 2014 - 06:07

It is not a problem at all! Once I practiced for maybe two to three weeks with the system, I never got them confused !!! PAO actually helps organize the people and their actions. Plus, you don't have to remember as many people!

For example, say you have 6 cards and using pa you get: James Bond punching, Morgan Freeman reading, and Brittany spears shaving. Versus pao which say you get: James Bond punching a cactus and Britany Spears shaving a giant squirrel! Which one is easier to visualize and then recall?

10 November, 2014 - 11:51

rdeaton8 wrote:

James Bond punching a cactus and Britany Spears shaving a giant squirrel!

Great images. :)

10 November, 2014 - 12:50

That sounds great actually, today I have put together a PAOsystem and tried it out, right now I'm sloooow but i see the potential so hopefully I may finally be able to break the 1 minute barrier as soon as I get a hold of my new system, thanks alot! :)

21 December, 2014 - 05:14

It does make sense to use the PAO system. I'm working on it now, it's 17 locations and 17 people to remember, it's far less than remembering 26 people which was my struggle as you still have to remember 26 people with their actions. I want to take it to a new level and find a way to visualise just one image with 4 cards. This would mean that we only have to remember 13 locations and 13 people, not sure if anyone is using this kind of system or if there is a system out there that is not shared by anyone. If I come up with a solid 4 card system I'll post it here, what are your thoughts about 4 card system?

21 December, 2014 - 05:16

A 4 card system may be a good one to start a new post, let me know if you do.

21 December, 2014 - 13:47

A 4 card system, 1 image per 4 cards, would require 7,311,616 images.

You could try for a 2 card system, those are quite good, but require a lot of time. 2704 images. Or if you use the shadow system, look it up in the search box, you only need 1352 images. That's possible.

A PAO system is still a 1 card system.

Bateman

24 December, 2014 - 07:10

There are such things as 4 card systems!!! I have tried a papo (person action person object) and I also experimented with papa (person action person action) but I personally believe that it takes longer to make a 4 part image (papo or papa) than a 3 like the pao!! You should experiment it to see for yourself!! I will admit only having to make 13 images instead of 17 is awesome but I could never do it as fast as I would like!!!!

Check out Ben's system which combines any two cards into one image!! Note that to use this system Ben has 2704 images! Here is a link to him explaining it! http://www.memoryconsulting.com/pridmore.htm

24 December, 2014 - 12:26

I think the terminology here can get a little confusing. I'd distinguish between types of systems.

To me, PAPO would be a 4-card compound image system. PAO is a 3-card compound image system. In a compound image system, one card represents a partial image, based on position, that is then combined with other partial images. This can fit two to four+ cards per location.

The compound image systems have more than one possible image for each card or number, but they don't combine four things into one completely unique image.

A two card system makes a single, non-compound image from two cards. The 2-card Ben System fits six cards per location.

A full 4-card system would require 54*52*52*52 images, like Bateman mentioned. A 4-card compound image system would require only 52+52+52+52 image elements.

From a practical standpoint, one probably couldn't have more than a "2-card system". I think it's just a matter of wording though. One could easily have a 4-part compound image system.

24 December, 2014 - 18:12

Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure how to distinguish lol!

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: