How study for exams?

6 replies [Last post]
fgronzani's picture

Hi,I'm studying for the exam to enter in a medical university,and I know that mnemonic techniques are very powerful, I think we have medical students in this forum,I would like to know how to study effectively and efficiently for the exam,Any tips from anyone will be welcome,Like How review learning or creat Mind Maps,I'll be very very grateful for any comments ( Sorry for my bad English)

Dale's picture
Re: How study for exams?
fgronzani's picture

Thanks =)

Guajiro's picture

My mom used mnemonics to pass nursing school. She used to draw picures. She told me that on one occasion she had to remember various diseases and amongs them were various STDs. (Now, keep in mind, this isnt a joke nor an attempt to be vulgar. Its simply the truth) To remember one of them she drew a picure of a giant vagina shaped monster. The details of this monster's appearence represented the conditions of the disease. so since the STD caused yellow coloring to occur, naturally the monster was yellow, and so on..
She even wrote the name of the monster which was a play of words on the name of the STD.

Everyone in class made fun of her when they saw her drawings. Well after one of the exams all the students said that when the questions came up about that particular STD they ALL remembered her crazy drawing and they ALL got the questions right concerning that STD.

she graduated as one of the top students of her class and she gives credit to mnemonics.

hope this gives you an idea Smile

fgronzani's picture

Thanks =)

hello_world's picture

Hi! The best way to learn... I can tell you my experience about medicine and memorization techniques...
The most important thing on medical college is to understand what are you learning (that makes things a lot easier, but could take more time).
There is no point of making a picture of every structure in your body. At some point they will all mix and you gonna lose them. In my experience, making pictures of abstract terms can be very helpful, but don't overuse it! Just read all those terms until you become familiar with them. Read them over and over again. After you are familiar with the terms, you can try making acronyms or using the existing ones. I guess all about memorization is to make small triggers that are going to unlock your knowledge and not to make trigger for every single piece of information you get.
Example:
Middle ear. I imagined it as a room, and I just tried to imagine structures on the walls of middle ear, like some kind of reminder, not their names, i will try to explain...
Middle ear has six walls (you can imagine it as a room). Each wall has the name, and the name corresponds with a most important anatomical structure that its related to.
Enter through big round door made of leather (membrana tympani) and turn right (you are looking at an anterior wall now). On my right there are the door (membrana tympani), and the wall above door is very thin (pars squamosa ossis temporalis), the name of the wall is paries membranaceus (because of membrana tympani). Anterior wall (which I'm looking at) has a thick red line through the middle of it (canalis caroticus is on the other side and its called paries caroticus) and on the right of the line there is a small hole, also, I see a crack in the wall, right above the hole (ostium tympanicum tubae auditivae and fissura petrotympanica)... Ok to avoid describing the rest, I will stop now (medial wall is really reach with structures Smile). But you see the point, just small reminders. How to remember that a hole on the anterior wall is ostium tympanicum tubae auditivae? Become familiar with the terms! Just read them over and over again. Use anatomy atlas, and read the names of the structures until you can say the name of the hole in the anterior wall. Those small things on the walls of your room are there just to give you a small remind (not the whole name of the structure). It takes a split of an second to imagine the wall with a red line, a hole and a crack, but the eternity to describe it, so use pictures and imagination, rather then a small story that you could whisper your self...
In my country we learn latin names in anatomy, if english is your native, terms will be easier to learn (anglo american terminology). My English is not the best English on the world, so I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear Smile.

fgronzani's picture

Thank you very much, I think this will help a lot,Thank you again. =)

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Memory Competitions and Tournaments

User login

For Schools

Students and teachers: fill out this form to get assistance with forming a memory club at your school along with its own section on ArtOfMemory.com. It's free!