Learning All of The 151 Original Pokemon

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 3 January, 2016 - 03:59

Learning All of The 151 Original Pokemon

I decided to challenge myself and see how fast I could remember all of the 151 original pokemon! If you don't know what pokemon are, you need to google that right away!

Here is the video of me recalling all of the Pokemon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiXuOLrAdtk

It was a lot of fun to learn them and something different than the usual stuff. You know what I mean?

Enjoy!

5 January, 2016 - 10:30

Haha, I actually remembered all 151 pokemon from my childhood :P
When I was growing up, the pokemon anime and games were very popular in my country, and to us kids, knowing all 151 pokemon plus their number was really "cool". So I went and learned them all :P

Still a big pokemon fan today, though I only know the numbers of the first 151.

3 January, 2017 - 07:13

I wonder if pokemons (151 of them) can be used as a pegs/journey to memorize stuff. Problem is they are similar and have similar attacks (fire, lighting, water)...

3 January, 2017 - 13:11

I actually got an idea to do that, but never really got around to actually do it.

A lot are really similar, which is the first obstacle, pairs like:
- Charmander and Charmeleon
- Squirtle and Warturtle
- Poliwhirl and Poliwrath
- Pidgey and Spearow
- Ponyta and Rapidash
- Grimer and Muk

And that is just a few from the first generation. Looking beyond that you can make inter-generational comparisons, like Magmortar and Emboar. Some generations even have pokemon that are so similar, the difference is in the very fine details, like Plusle-Minun, Silcoon-Cascoon, the Incarnate Formes of Tornadus-Thundurus-Landorus, you can even draw the line of pidgey-spearow on with every small bird from every generation. While the die-hard pokemon fan will have no trouble distinguishing them, as I have with the first 151 and 99% of the other generations, I can imagine that not everyone shares that ability.

My solution: make them multi-dimensional
For example, Charmander and Charmeleon.
Charmander to me is like a young child, he is cute, squishy, playful. So my image would be that, a small, smiling Charmander that clearly loves playing. Charmeleon on the other hand is more edgy, like a teen. He is tougher, less playful. Upon seeing me, he would maybe raise an eyebrow, but ignore my prescence any further. That way I grab two similar looking pokemon, but make them completely different personalities, and thus completely different images.

But as I said, I haven't yet got around to try it.

The thing that prevents me to start is actually something added in the later generations: alternative forms.
There are 8 pikachu forms, of which 7 are very distinguishable. 7 Rotoms, 4 Castforms, 4 Deoxys', 3 Burmies, 3 Wormadams, the list is endless. Unowns even know a whopping 28 different forms. This list is not even counting Alola Alternative Forms, Special Move Forms and Mega Evolutions. some forms are mere different color schemes, but others are completely different from eachother, as if they are different pokemon. I estimate there to be around 200 official alternate forms, and me being the completionist I am, I want them :P
The dilemma is, where to put them? put them in order, so Mega Charizard following Charizard? but mess up the numbering of the pokemon. Or put them at the end as an additional set? Which keeps the main set of numbers in place, but ruins the order.

One way or another, using them as images for a PAO or a journey, The main sequence including Generation 7 has 802 pokemon. Add the alternative forms and use missingno as number 0 (and maybe even add the 4 other missingno forms) and you could just hit a list of 1000 pokemon, great for a millennium PAO

4 January, 2017 - 12:00

I see your dilemma...
I have to be honest and say: I stopped watching pokemons after first couple of seasons because they started looking like a plushy toys and to much team rocket fillers....But I've played games involving 3 starters - 1st , 2nd and 3rd generation.

Idea for charmander/charmilion is good. I saw anime and remember :

-Charmander (P) like guy who is crying (A) on the stone (O) - waiting for original owner before Brock saves him.
-Squirtle (P) can be joshing (A) other pokemons wearing sunglasses (O).
-Pikachu (P) balancing (A) on the tail (O)
-Jigglypuff (P) singing (A) into microphone (O)

We can make full list here if you want for 151 :D

4 January, 2017 - 16:18

I think if you absolutely love pokemon and keep seeing all the pokemon, you would be able to ealiy tell the difference between all the pokemon and can use them for a system. Like Mayarra said, your number system would be completed!

I wonder what other things could be used that are numbered and have a lot...

5 January, 2017 - 05:01

Quote:

I have to be honest and say: I stopped watching pokemons after first couple of seasons because they started looking like a plushy toys and to much team rocket fillers....But I've played games involving 3 starters - 1st , 2nd and 3rd generation.

Same here, I believe I watched the first two generations of the anime, but after that I list my interest. As for the games, I did play every generation so far, but from games alone it gets very hard to really build a personality for the pokemon, as I basically get a great team early on, and stick with them. Those I remember. The rest, filler for my pokedex ^^

Quote:

I wonder what other things could be used that are numbered and have a lot...

Digimon has a large collection of beings that are very usable, though not numbered for as fas as I am aware. Medabots has a smaller collection, but a lot of those are numbered (around 100 or so). Star Trek has a lot of species listed, and Star Wars has so many species that if you write one page about each, you end up with a thick encyclopedia, and that is just the sentient species. Unfortunately, both are not numbered.

If you want an incredibly huge and growing numbered list, do check out the SCP catalog if you are not easily creeped out. That list even has SCP-000, so no empty spot there as with most lists. To my knowledge, it is the largest numbered catalog of fictional beings to be found, with almost 3000 entries at this moment.
http://www.scp-wiki.net/

6 January, 2017 - 10:01

I tought of the pokemons when Pokemon Go went viral.

I had 5-10 objects in my 2 digits pao which I didn't like,
so I set these objects as the corresponding pokemons.
I made the pokemons Objects because they are usually controlled by their master. But for some pokemons I admit it's not soo smooth to imagine...

I didn't know them by hearth like Mayarra, but even then, they are unique enough to make good images... good fillers for anyone who needs a few more iamges for their systems :D

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: