Memorize Music for Tests

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 29 April, 2014 - 22:35

Memorize Music for Tests

Hi, I take a course on classical guitar (I am beginner, first year) and we have some test in june. My questions are:

1. Teacher will play some melodies (in special from bach, bethoveen classic ones etc), and we have to hear the song and reconize the name of the song. The problem is that those song are long and are made with instruments and i didn`t find a way to memorize so when i hear a portion of the song to recognize the name of the song. Is there any system to learn that?

2. Any help on learning notes on fretboard, or learning music sheets? The problem is that here in Romania we don`t have letter we have do re mi fa so la si instead of letters, and i didn`t find any system that help me learn in a easy way.

Thanks

29 April, 2014 - 23:52

Welcome to the site! :)

I used to study classical guitar. I don't know if memory techniques would be ideal for that specific task.

When I was a teenager I had a friend who had a method where he played the same album over and over for days. I thought that the method was brilliant for becoming familiar with new music. :)

I started doing that regularly, playing the same music over and over in the background. After listening to it passively in the background for a week or so, play it again and listen to it actively. It will stick...

I'd also recommend trying to pick out the individual lines while doing the active listening. Example: on one listen, follow the cellos. On another, follow another instrument. There is free sheet music online, which can help.

Is your teacher going to give you specific pieces to listen to? If you list them here, I might be able to offer some suggestions of what to listen for. Once you find something to focus on in a specific piece, it can get really interesting.

30 April, 2014 - 01:09

Hi Josh, I`m glad to be here :) related to songs, between other we have
vivaldi - four seasons
- concert for 2 violins and orchestra

Bach - Brandenburg Concertos 3 and 5
- Chaconne For Solo Violin
- Well-Tempered Clavier
- some prelude , tocatta, concerts on organ instruments
-concert for violins and orchestra

opera arias - Georg Friedrich Händel Messiah, glory to god, hallelujah, glory of lords

josep haydn
surprize symphony 94
simphony nr.101,92,104 (oxford, london)

Bach Edition (Introduction)
1. Mass in B minor - Gloria in excelsis
2. Mass in B minor - Et in unum Deum
3. Italian Concerto in F major
4. Violin Concerto in E minor
5. Coffee cantata
6. Partita in E major
7. Christmas Oratorio
8. St. Matthew Passion
9. Cello Suite No. 2 in D Minor
10. St. John Passion

Mozart simphony 40/41 and concert for piano and orchestra

Beethoven - Emperor

Renaisance Music - this is not so hard because there are some with voices like gregorian and have some in latin and i can make conection with words and song name

1 May, 2014 - 19:44

Great list. I can comment on a couple of them...

nelutu wrote:

vivaldi - four seasons

This one is interesting because it has some programmatic elements, which means that the music is intended to represent something. You might have to do some research to find details (start here), but one example is the "barking dogs" here. Reading the sonnets while listening might help with the creation of images that you could associated with the music.

http://youtu.be/GRxofEmo3HA

nelutu wrote:

- Chaconne For Solo Violin

I love that piece. I once created a playlist on YouTube with 27 versions that you can listen to (linked to below). It starts with an amazing version by Yehudi Menuhin. The fourth and fifth videos in the playlist are good renditions on guitar by Segovia.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCDD9B9C86D5AA6C8

nelutu wrote:

- Well-Tempered Clavier

Check out Wanda Landowska and Glen Gould.

For most of it, I'd use the technique of listening to one group of pieces at a time repeatedly. Then, after a few days of that, listen to it again actively and it will already be familiar. Researching some history about each piece also helps. Example: the Surprise Symphony has a story.

Things get really interesting in the 19th century when there was a lot of program music, but everything on that list is pre-Romantic.

3 May, 2014 - 02:41

Thank you very much josh, its a good idea to find the story of the song so i can i have with what to asociate, and i didn`t know about those sonnets
Now i start playing a lot and take any song and make research on it :)

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: