Memorizing Rubik's Cubes (and similar puzzles)

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 8 October, 2012 - 06:08

Memorizing Rubik's Cubes (and similar puzzles)

9 October, 2012 - 05:27

It made a lot of sense to me, only because I've been blindsolving since 2011. To someone new to this; there is an awful lot of interesting, but unrelated filler. You need to clarify a lot of the terminology used in your post and explain commutators/algorithms, what they are and how they are actually used during a solve.

12 October, 2012 - 07:12

MOOP! I know who you are! (on ss) (I think... Kristopher de Asis?)
I'll clarify some later, but perhaps you could do some too. I won't have much time tonight, with homework, and I've got a cube comp in the morning, but I'll try to do some clarification.

12 October, 2012 - 21:24

Thanks for the explanation. How do you keep track of things once you star solving it? Do you just move a few pieces and then rememorize based on where you think you moved things?

That is an amazing video:

25 October, 2012 - 06:52

Well, that's where it gets a bit complicated. Basically, you solve 1 or 2 pieces at a time without disturbing any other pieces. So I would solve the first 1 or 2 pieces I memorized, and I would know exactly where the next 1 or 2 pieces would be, cause they hadn't moved at all. I would continue this until I had solved all of the pieces. If that doesn't make sense, check out this video. It's a bit long, but it explains everything and you probably won't need to watch it all.

21 January, 2013 - 20:35

I'm quite new to Rubik's cubes generally... I solved a 4x4x4 cube myself ONCE - only by painstaking analysis of my trial and error moves. It was a terrible ordeal over many days ;)

However, more recently I decided to read up and learn how to complete a 3x3x3 cube blindfolded. I was led to believe it was more a feat of memory than anything else. Obviously there are the mechanics of several key sequences - but otherwise it's all about remembering the initial state of the cube. The mechanical sequences are muscle automations.

I am not aiming to be a speed cuber... just to practice and learn how to do it. But I do have some thoughts to contribute to the memorisation while I am still learning. It is quite possible that I am learning a basic technique using more steps than necessary... but hopefully this might be of interest to those who enjoy mnemonics and would like to try something a bit different!

This is the link i used for my instruction.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/pfg115/rubiks/blind.htm

I've read several suggestions for how to remember the state of the cube... but I definitely prefer the numerical representation described in the article. The author states you simply need to remember a sequence of around 35 digits. This will probably interest anyone who uses a major or Ben system for memorising numbers. Let me stress that we are ignoring explicit memorisation of colours and only memorising position and orientation of each piece.

His example of a random scrambled up cube is this:

0 2 1 0 1 1 2 - 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 - 5 8 4 7 9 3 7 3 - 10 3 7 8 4 12 9 5

Obviously, this numerical sequence can be condensed way down, meaning only 8 or 9 images required to remember the entire state of the cube.

The cube is solved in 4 parts:

1) Corner Orientation (spin the corner pieces)
2) Edge Orientation (flip the edge pieces)
3) Corner Permutation (move the corner pieces to where they should be)
4) Edge Permutation (move the edge pieces to where they should be)

How does the numerical sequence work?

0 2 1 0 1 1 2 - reminds us which corners need to be rotated

Corner 1 = 0 (no turn)
Corner 2 = 2 (two turns clockwise)
Corner 3 = 1 (one turn clockwise)
Corner 4 = 0 (no turn)
Corner 5 = 1 (one turn clockwise)
Corner 6 = 1 (one turn clockwise)
Corner 7 = 2 (two turns clockwise)
Corner 8 (don't worry - this turns itself)

1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 - reminds us which edges need to be flipped.
This is 11 binary digits

5 8 4 7 9 3 7 3 - reminds us which corners need to move to a new place (it's kind of an ordered chain)
This is around 8 decimal digits

10 3 7 8 4 12 9 5 - reminds us which edge pieces need to move (in a chain)
This is around 8 "numbers". Unfortunately the numbers range from 1 to 12 which is not as nice for chunking.

After memorising this initial state, we perform the same sequence several times to rotate corners, then another sequence to flip edges, then another sequence to move the corners, then a last sequence to move the edges.
That's all discussed in detail in the article. I believe there is no substitute for practice to let your hands learn these automatic sequences - "muscle memory"

However for the state of the cube, using something like the major or Ben system really condenses it.

The chunking of digits is open for personal preference with some complications, and I'm still deciding exactly what to do. For now I will explain the corner orientation memorisation as it is probably the strangest of my current decisions:

Corner Permutation
0 2 1 0 1 1 2
I memorise this in two images.

I break it into 0 2 1 0 (top corners) and 1 1 2 (bottom corners)

the 112 is straight forward - a Ben system style decimal image. For me, it is TIN (teen)

the weirder bit is the 0 2 1 0. This could be treated as four decimal digits but most people need two images for that, I prefer to use one image for the top corners, one for the bottom.

0 2 1 0 is technically "Ternary", every corner is 0,1 or 2

I chunk this into 02-10 and translate to decimal
02 = 0x3 + 2x1 = 2
10 = 1x3 + 0x1 = 3

So the image for the top corners is my two digit 23. For me, it is UM (umu)

An umu is like a fire pit for cooking food in Polynesian islands.
So remembering a teen (cheerleader) jumping into a firepit is enough for me to recall the orientation of all the corners of the cube.

I have quite a number of reasons for settling on this approach and will elaborate if anyone is interested :) But for now, I think this might be enough of a curiosity for mnemonists and cubers.

Cheers!

23 February, 2013 - 19:58

What blindsolving methods do you guys use?

I use 3OP, it took me awhile to learn how it worked and to learn the algorithms but I'm pretty good at it now except for solving some parity errors blindfold.

I number all my edge 1-12 going clock-wise starting from the U (top) layer with the edge piece facing me being 1 and 5 being on the F (front) side left.
For corners I have them numbered 1-8 going counter clock-wise starting from the U (top) layer with number 1 being the corner facing me on the left side.

For edge orientation I visualize shapes such as traingles, lines or balls (a triangle would be 3 cublets, a line 2, a ball 1) and try to visualize these shapes connecting the cublets that need to be solved. I do the same thing for corner orientation but I use the L shape. I don't try to memorize them for very long because I will end up solving edge and corner orientation fairly quickly and there's not a point to remembering it more than 10-30 seconds at most.

I do however use my own PAO system and the method of loci for the edge and corner permutation which is at most 20 digits because it is useful to remember them for a longer period of time.

1 March, 2015 - 23:19

I use TuRBo edges and OP corners, although I'm trying to make the switch from OP to commutators for corners right now. (I hate having to come on to an old thread.)

P.S. Hey Ickathu! Nice to see you here (if you're still active).

27 December, 2015 - 11:59

With a PAO system you can reduce it to 5-7 images

28 December, 2015 - 10:08

I am very interested in 3op method. I resolved 3x3 rubix fine with m2 old pochman method. I assigned letters to each edge and corner from which I create words. The words are my images but this is slow method I want something faster.

Do you have good instructions for 3op method, especialy parity part?

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: