Memorizing the Periodic Table for time

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 29 October, 2014 - 16:58

Memorizing the Periodic Table for time

Hey guys, first post on this forum, LOVE the place, have been surfing around for quite some time!

I thought it would be interesting to see how long it'd take people to memorize the periodic table, and achieving 100% recall. What needs to be memorized is:

Name of the element

Its symbol

Its atomic number

Time starts when you begin memorizing the first element, ends once you achieve full recall of all the required information.

This is not ment as a competition, but rather, it'd be interesting to see at what speeds people can retain valuable information that most who are untrained in this art couldn't absorb in a lifetime.

There are several ways to approach this. You could memorize it all in a single sitting, or do multiple over the course of however long you decide. Just keep an eye on the clock and add up to its total time invested, and share which approach you used. Also, please do share how you went about memorizing the information.

Good luck guys!

23 December, 2014 - 10:24

15 March, 2015 - 00:04

Hi WrOx88,

How did you get on? any tips before I tuck into this?

28 March, 2015 - 08:27

I did this. Hardest part was prepping a palace. Took me like 3 days to do up to #80. Then took me another week to do the rest. Lost a lot of momemtum with the difficult names and having to stretch out a small palace. But it's done.

28 March, 2015 - 08:27

Grammar edit.

8 April, 2015 - 15:34

Well done for completing this challenge. Did you go for a straight 80 locations or group into areas for the different groups of the periodic table?

9 August, 2015 - 17:43

I learnt it just a month ago, didn't really time myself but Anki says I've spent around 5 minutes per day and it took me a month and a half (Yeah, I wasn't rushing lol), so around 4 hours ^^. Well this also include all the reviewing, I probably could've done this all at once in the same amount of time but then I would forget it quickly without reviews.
As for my method well nothing crazy, I associated an image with each element (Quite hard sometime, just to give you an idea "Zirconium" = "The Cone" for me xD ('The' pronounced with a foreign accent gives the 'Zi') ), and then I used the major system for the atomic numbers. The symbols were pretty easy, just used a tiny bit of mnemotechnics for some annoying elements, like : Thorium: Th, Thallium: Tl, Thulium: Tm. Ugh, it can't get any more confusing!

9 August, 2015 - 20:11

10 non-consecutive hours. I used Graceland virtual tour to do the first 50 and maps from a video game through 109 elements.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: