Mnemonics for multiplication timetables?

8 replies [Last post]
magerX's picture

Hey.

I would like to know if any of you know some mnemonic techniques for memorizing the multiplication timetables? I'm looking for both up to 9*9, and up to 20*20.
(This is assuming there is an established 0-99 images-numbers using the major system)

Thanks.

Josh Cohen's picture
Webmaster
Re: Mnemonics for multiplication timetables?

Do you already have mnemonic images for 0-9 and 00-99?

If not, you could use the number shape system for 0-9 and the Major System for 00-99.

(See also: other mnemonic systems)

If I am understanding your question correctly, there are tricks to make it easier. For example, when multiplying by 9, one digit goes up and the other goes down. No need for mnemonic images -- just remember the pattern: 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 81, 90...

There are mental calculation tricks that would avoid a lot of the memorization. For example, if you multiply any 2-digit number by 11, just add the digits and put the result in the middle:

For 11 * 10, add 1 + 0 and put the answer in the middle: 110.

11 * 11 = 1(2)1
11 * 12 = 1(3)2
11 * 25 = 2(7)5

If the two digits add up to more than 10, just carry the 10:
11 * 58 = 638 because 5 + 8 = 13.
11 * 97 = 1067 because 9 + 7 = 16.

That's probably easier to learn than memorizing all the answers between 11 * 10 and 11 * 20. There are many tricks for other numbers too...

More info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_calculation
http://mt.artofmemory.com/wiki/Trachtenberg_System

magerX's picture

Yes I already do have the images of 00-99 in my mind.

I know about mental math, and my next step will be working hard with the book "secrets of mental math" which after reviewing the current literature, seems to be the best option(anyone with different few - let me know).

Sadly I have a gap from school and I don't remember the basic time tables by heart(embarrassing I know). A lot of the more complex mental math require knowing this by heart.

Therefore, any mnemonic which will help with memorizing the time tables up to 9x9 will be great. I'm sure someone has came up with mnemonic version of it. I hope to avoid memorizing it by root which will take some time...

Thanks.

Josh Cohen's picture
Webmaster

magerX wrote:
Therefore, any mnemonic which will help with memorizing the time tables up to 9x9 will be great. I'm sure someone has came up with mnemonic version of it. I hope to avoid memorizing it by root which will take some time...

Brainstorming some ideas:

If you have a smartphone, look for a mental calculation app. One of the apps I have runs you through multiplying single digits near the beginning, which you have to pass to get to the next level. 15 minutes of that per day for a week would probably do the trick.

Some of them I learned by chanting them when I was a kid. Until recently, when I started trying to make the answer come instantly, when I would multiply 6 * 8, I would say "six times eight is forty eight", because it rhymes.

I know that I must have chanted a lot of them, because it easier to go in one order. If I say "eight times six" instead of "six times eight" I have to stop and think for an extra second, because my brain doesn't have as quick of a path from that to the answer.

You could try learning them by going through the rows -- don't read them from a table, but do the addition:

Example: for sevens:
7, 14, 21, 28, 35, 42, 49, 56, 63

Then maybe chant them with a rhythm:
"two times seven is fourteen"
"three times seven is twenty one"
"four times seven is twenty eight"
etc.

Mnemonic images might even be slower than repetition in this case.

I don't know any tricks for single digits other than 9s.

otengam's picture

I haven't been in your position in relation to times tables but using wrote to memorise the first 9 times tables wouldn't take long I would imagine, especially if you performed this task before sleep, on the toilet, in the shower etc.

2 2s are 4
2 3s are 6
2 4s are 8
2 5s are 10

That's how I learnt them anyway. A few weeks, probably even a few days and you could become quite well known with them. Even find combinations that you like. 8 x 8 = 64 was always my favourite etc. Good luck mate

Josh Cohen's picture
Webmaster

otengam wrote:
...especially if you performed this task before sleep...

Good idea...
I run through Anki flashcards before I go to sleep, because studying right before sleep helps with memorization.

otengam wrote:
Even find combinations that you like. 8 x 8 = 64 was always my favourite etc.

There is something nice about that one. Smile

duyhoa83's picture

I still think that use mnemonics for timetable memorization is fast. Making crazy story is enough. This is coming from my experience as i am teaching some primary pupils in this regards Smile

Geoff's picture

magerX wrote:
Yes I already do have the images of 00-99 in my mind.

Create an Anki deck with all the tables you want to learn in image form.

So for: 9 x 8 = 72
Create an Anki card: Pie x UFO = Coin

I'd suggest also NOT skipping learning the other combination (UFO x Pie = Coin)

Then just use Anki's spaced repetition magic to get it stuck in your head.
(And make use of Anki's Cloze feature.)

This is surely a much better way than the sitting on the floor and chanting the tables that we had to do in school.

Geoff.

Geoff's picture

Another hint, if you already have your 0-99 in a spreadsheet creating all the equations you need there and importing them into Anki should be fairly easy.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Memory Competitions and Tournaments

User login

For Schools

Students and teachers: fill out this form to get assistance with forming a memory club at your school along with its own section on ArtOfMemory.com. It's free!