(Music) Sight Reading App on Android

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 5 June, 2012 - 09:44

(Music) Sight Reading App on Android

Hey guys, for my summer break I've decided to make a sight reading app.

It gradually progresses you through a few notes at a time in a game like manner, I think it's pretty fun and effective.

Anyway, if you're interested check it out here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sight.read

5 June, 2012 - 14:00

How is sight reading different from what is normally just called "reading"?
And does it have anything to do with memory or are you just randomly spamming forums?

5 June, 2012 - 17:55

To sight read you have to be able to come up with the notes quick enough to keep up with the pace of the music.

This includes looking ahead and caching the upcoming notes in short-term memory, using "chunking" techniques, etc...

Reading music is kind of interesting as far as memory goes because of the "associative interference" between treble and bass clefs. Also, most people learn to read music slowly because they can just slowly work out the notes as they learn each song. Isolating notes so that you identify them directly catalyzes the learning process.

There is another thread that talks about reading music, and suggests some mnemonic techniques, so I thought my app might be useful to people here.

I don't think I'm spamming, I'm certainly open to discussing sight reading and how it relates to memory. I'd love to hear what people have to say.

5 June, 2012 - 23:53

Ok, I'm not a musician so it wasn't clear to me that you were talking about music. (And It's probably so obvious to you that you wouldn't have noticed that someone might not understand this.)
Your second post has cleared up a lot of things. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: