New Forum Section for Mind Puzzles

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 5 February, 2012 - 10:11

New Forum Section for Mind Puzzles

I just made this new forum section for mental puzzles, games, and brain teasers.

Here are two examples:

Easy:
"What is a word made up of 4 letters yet is also made up of 3. Although is written with 8 letters, and then with 4. Rarely consists of 6, and never is written with 5?"

Difficult:
The Zebra Puzzle:

1. There are five houses.
  2. The Englishman lives in the red house.
  3. The Spaniard owns the dog.
  4. Coffee is drunk in the green house.
  5. The Ukrainian drinks tea.
  6. The green house is immediately to the right of the ivory house.
  7. The Old Gold smoker owns snails.
  8. Kools are smoked in the yellow house.
  9. Milk is drunk in the middle house.
  10. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
  11. The man who smokes Chesterfields lives in the house next to the man with the fox.
  12. Kools are smoked in a house next to the house where the horse is kept. [should be "... a house ...", see discussion below]
  13. The Lucky Strike smoker drinks orange juice.
  14. The Japanese smokes Parliaments.
  15. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.

Now, who drinks water? Who owns the zebra? In the interest of clarity, it must be added that each of the five houses is painted a different color, and their inhabitants are of different national extractions, own different pets, drink different beverages and smoke different brands of American cigarets [sic]. One other thing: in statement 6, right means your right.

If you figure out puzzles in this section, you can post that you solved it, but don't post the answers right away so that other people have a chance to try it. :)

The new forum section is here--feel free to post any interesting puzzles that you find:
Mental Puzzles and Games

19 April, 2012 - 21:43

While people fight with this:

Out of interest, has anyone else tried to solve puzzles entirely in their heads?

1) Crosswords?
2) Sudoku?
3) Other similar puzzle styles?

I find that the more meaning-intensive the clues, the easier the process is. For example, British-style "cryptic" crosswords are easy to do in your head, because by the time you have an answer you know the answer, and you can grid it easily. By contrast, most sudoku puzzles are totally abstract and spatial, and you'd need to impose some sort of system by which to memorize what is in the puzzle to start and what you've entered, or otherwise it's all just fuzzy.

26 April, 2012 - 11:44

I think that blindfolded crossword puzzles is a great idea. :)

I haven't tried it though...

30 September, 2012 - 19:14

zaerer wrote:

I am working in a method to play chess in my head. Til the end of the year this will be finished.

That's a great project. It would be interesting to play mental chess by text message or Twitter with neither player using a chess board. :)

16 November, 2012 - 05:44

I am working in a method to play chess in my head. Til the end of the year this will be finished.

31 December, 2012 - 08:11

I`m interested in Sudoku and other logic puzzles as well. Without any mnemotechnic system I can solve a Sudoku in about 2 steps, that is, I fill about 15-20 numbers every time and then go on. Harder and evilish Sudokus will be challenging to solve that way, even more than they already are :-):

31 January, 2014 - 12:10

I'm no good at suduko, but I have played mental chess, my friend was no good at it shoe used the board and I did not, we simply called out moves, I won, several times, he's not that good so it's not saying much though......it's great fun though, I definitely recommend it.

31 January, 2014 - 14:52

Easy puzzle answer is "Yes"?

Mental chess, once you played chess normally for some time, is pretty easy. First time I tried it, I only messed up twice, and those were 1 square off. I didn't even visualize the board or anything, just had this feeling that those pieces should be there etc.

Really fun and challenging too

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: