Noise Canceling Headphones

8 replies [Last post]
Josh Cohen's picture
Webmaster

Does anyone have recommendations on a specific brand/model of noise-canceling headphones to buy? I think I need them.

Also does anyone use goggles to restrict vision to just the cards and numbers? Do you make them or can they be purchased somewhere?

pwgearguy's picture
Re: Noise Canceling Headphones

I've never used noise cancelling headphones but I have used isolating headphones for years and love them. I currently use Shure SE310.

You may either want to eliminate all sound by isolating or cancelling... or it might be worth experimenting with music. Firstly, some beat ranges help with concentration (eg. some baroque, try searching for "music for concentration"). Secondly, you may be able to associate particular notes or parts of a piece with what you are trying to remember: make the music part of your memory palace

Dale's picture

I use spongey ear plugs from the local tool store. Users of power tools use them.

pwgearguy's picture

Yeah. That was what I meant to say, but got distracted: Unless you are going to play music, you might as well get normal ear plugs instead of noise cancelling headphones. I ride a motorcycle, and find that the yellow foam ones pull out when you put the helmet on, so I have had some custom fit ones made, and they really hold out the sound.

But there's another thing: you might sometimes want to wear headphones (as well) as a message to tell people not to disturb you!

Josh Cohen's picture
Webmaster

Thanks for the tips. I might use the earplugs for now, and get the headphones when I go back to the US.

gprasant's picture

I was looking forward to get the kind of headphones that most people in this video use. They dont look like normal headphones and i dont know what term it goes by. Any one knows what they are called? So that ill be able to google up a store that sells them

gprasant's picture

By the way, I just looked up a hardware store and found this. Anyone use the same/similar product?

Nervous Test Pilot's picture

gprasant wrote:
I was looking forward to get the kind of headphones that most people in this video use. They dont look like normal headphones and i dont know what term it goes by. Any one knows what they are called? So that ill be able to google up a store that sells them

I did the same question when I watched that video before reading your post. By the way, it is a good question.

gprasant wrote:
By the way, I just looked up a hardware store and found this. Anyone use the same/similar product?

I am thinking to buy this intermediate model "EX-25 Compact Isolation Headphones". So I can use it either to listen to music or memory training. Thanks for sharing this link.

Damalis's picture

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Memory Competitions and Tournaments

User login

For Schools

Students and teachers: fill out this form to get assistance with forming a memory club at your school along with its own section on ArtOfMemory.com. It's free!