Peg system + Loci

6 replies [Last post]
decoyoctopus's picture

I have in mind a narrow amount of loci.
Is it possible to multply this amount, by melting the loci with peg system?

For example:

Let's say that i have to memorize a list of 500 words but i don't have in mind such a big number of loci neither of pegs.

let's say that have in mind this peg list( actually i have memorized a 100 words peg list):
1. Tea
2. New
3. Me
4. Ear
5. Owl
6. Gay
7. Cow
8. UFO
9. Bee
10. Dash

and use these loci of my house:
1. Bedroom
2. Bathroom
3. Living room
4. kitchen
etc.

First of all i would imagine a tea box in the bedroom and then associate this "tea in the bedroom" with the first word.
Then i would imagine "Noah" in the bedroom and then associate this "noah in the bedroom" with the second word
and so on...
After have ended the peg list i would reuse it locating pegs in the bathroom then in the living room and so on.
So, for example, to memorize the word n. 35 let's say, i would imagine an owl in the kitchen and associate this
"owl in the kitchen" with word n.35
Essentially i would reuse pegs several times in different locations
Is it effective or is it a silly idea?

PS. Sorry for my bad english

bruno's picture
Re: Peg system + Loci

Hello,
I was hesitating to post this question too, especially for the building of long term memory palaces.
It's an attractive idea because it decuplates the storing capacity, but maybe it's a bit confusing to have many images in the same loci indexed by the pegs. According to me, the main problem is that it cost one image, limiting and biaising the constitution of complex images in the same loci, and it is something important to me for building long term palace. Maybe we could consider the building of a special list of peg, which have the specificity to impact dramatically the loci and also avoid to mix images, but it could occasionnate confusion, and makes harder to remember the image in the loci .Well, it's my naïve point of view, I am still not enough experienced to be taken seriously, I hope this topic will get answers.

And sorry for my bad english too Smile

BuddingProspects's picture

I've always thought it a big mistake to use the peg system for memorizing a vocabulary list. You would need at least 2000 words to carry on a limited discussion and trying to come up with 2000 pegs seems useless. Imagine what you would have to do if you wanted to learn 5000 words!!

For some reason you are convinced that you NEED peg words and loci for vocabulary. I don't know why you have this belief. However, why not simply use "instant association"?

a. The whole word might remind you of a word in your own language.
b. Part or parts of a word might remind you of a word or words in your own language.

All you need is to use the image in YOUR language and associate it with the MEANING of the word in the TARGET language.

When you associate, you NEVER have to worry about running out of pegs and loci.

You ask, "Is it effective or is it a silly idea?"

I don't know why you ask this question. It may be effective for YOU but a silly idea for someone else, so why should you care? It may be silly for YOU but effective for someone else, so why should you care? Only YOU can decide if it's effective or silly for you. If someone tells you it's silly, and then you see that it works, then why should you care what they say?

Kinma's picture

decoyoctopus wrote:

Is it effective or is it a silly idea?

It might be effective with a couple of changes.
The basic idea of adding an extra dimension in order to explode the amount of loci works.
However I wold not use a location to expand. Here is why.

In your example 'tea in the bedroom' means 11 and 53 is an owl in the living room.
Now let's sat that you want to store the number 1153 in your palace.
You cannot put the 2 images for 1153 it in the bedroom, nor the living room, since that would be confusing.
You cannot put it in the kitchen since this would add a '4' somewhere.
That is the reason I would not use a location for that.

You could however use something else. Let's say you use the weather for this:
0= Storm
2= wiNd
4= Rain
etc.

or colors:
1= whiTe
4= Red
5= YeLlow
etc.

Now you can easily store a 'red owl' in your bedroom.

odranoel's picture

I'm not sure why you're using the pegs to begin with. The other people replying seem to understand what you are getting at, but I guess I'm missing something. It looks like you associate one locus in a room with one peg, and that one peg with one word. Why not just associate the locus with the word directly?

If you want to expand the capacity of your loci, you could just add an object to each locus that can, in turn, be subdivided. The kitchen counter could have a pot on it, and you could then associate words with the lid, handle, inside of the pot, bottom, etc. You don't need a peg list based on the major system to implement that strategy - just pick random images.

bruno's picture

Personnaly, the expected advantage of peg over random images is a better access to the stored content : It gives the fact that there is something linked to the known dual {peg+loci}
In this raw version, I have to admit that it worked not so well for me, and I personnaly better used contextual random images to avoid overcharging. Maybe an intermediate version would be to use systematically some lists of "contextual peg". The pot in your example could belong to the pre-constituted list {pegs for kitchen}.

odranoel's picture

One method for generating random images is to use word association. Pot reminds me of kettle, which reminds me of the rolling stones, which reminds me of a pot with moss on it, and so on. In that case, the pot is attached to the locus, and is the prompt to remember the list of associated images, each of which I can subdivide four or five times and store information to the parts.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Memory Competitions and Tournaments

User login

For Schools

Students and teachers: fill out this form to get assistance with forming a memory club at your school along with its own section on ArtOfMemory.com. It's free!