PETA and World Memory Champion Jonas von Essen Interview

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 20 December, 2013 - 12:37

PETA and World Memory Champion Jonas von Essen Interview

Apparently, Jonas von Essen's memory runs better with a vegan diet. I think this is worth mentioning here.

Simon

http://blog.peta.org.uk/2013/12/jonas-von-essen-remember-to-go-vegan/

Jonas Von Essen: Remember to Go Vegan! - Blog - PETA.org.uk

blog.peta.org.uk/2013/12/jonas-von-essen-remember-to-go-vegan/‎

4 January, 2014 - 14:28

Thanks for the link. I wonder if any studies have been done on cognitive performance and diet. Does anyone know?

Edit: I found this from a quick search:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/you-illuminated/201102/does-vegetari...

5 January, 2014 - 01:24

I heard a rumor that McDonald's and cherry coke is the key to a good memory...

Now I don't know what to believe.

6 January, 2014 - 12:55

Einstein was a vegetarian. DaVinchi was a vegetarian. Now Jonas von Essen, the guy with the best memory in the world, is vegan.
I think the vegan/vegetarian diet is only indirectly related to their accomplishments.
It's like thinking, after seeing that people who have a bad memory often have bad teeth, "should I brush my teeth regularly if I want a good memory? The thing is, if you have a bad memory, you will have bad teeth because you aren't going to remember brushing your teeth.
In my opinion, people who have good judgement and who have the strength of character to act on their own good judgement and intuitions are more likely to:
A) discover how nature truly works
B) find that mnemonics can work for them
C) find that the vegetarian/vegan diet is the only way to go.
I would be ready to bet that the percentage of vegetarians active in memory training is far greater than that of the percentage of vegetarians in the general population.

Simon

6 January, 2014 - 13:05

simon L. wrote:

I would be ready to bet that the percentage of vegetarians active in memory training is far greater than that of the percentage of vegetarians in the general population.

I don't know about that, but it's worth mentioning that Andi Bell is also a vegetarian, so that's two out of nine world champions! But on the other hand, I'm hugely carnivorous, and I can't think of any other non-meat-eating memory competitors at all...

7 January, 2014 - 16:27

Correlation does not imply causation. One of my early teachers taught me this by saying : There are more people raped when there are more ice-creams being sold. Does that mean eating ice cream increases your chances of being raped? No. There are third variables, such as in this metaphor, the temperature. In summer, its hotter, people go outside more often, wandering about, and also buy more ice cream.

Maybe a third variable for this is that vegetarians care more about how they look, act and present themselves to others, and find a vegetarian lifestyle is healthier, while training their memory to improve how they present themselves to others, remembering names etc. There are also numerous other third variables.

Edit: 100th post, Woo! Also, just read the second half of simon's comment. As he said, a third variable could be strength of will. If people have enough discipline and self control to maintain a vegan diet, that strength likely extends to other parts of their life.

7 January, 2014 - 23:12

I think the ice cream's partially to blame.

8 January, 2014 - 06:40

:P

9 January, 2014 - 10:28

Zoomy wrote:
simon L. wrote:

I don't know about that, but it's worth mentioning that Andi Bell is also a vegetarian, so that's two out of nine world champions! But on the other hand, I'm hugely carnivorous, and I can't think of any other non-meat-eating memory competitors at all...

If only two vegetarians/vegans have been or are active (as a serious competitor) in memory sports and these two are the current World Memory Champion and a past one, then I'm even more astounded, speechless!
Zoomy, you may have the stomach of a predator but I believe you have the heart of a vegetarian.

Regards,

24 December, 2016 - 07:54

There is a nice video on the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4

27 December, 2016 - 16:06

I was a vegan from May to November. I added small amounts of fish (wild salmon, sardines) to my diet recently, but other than the fish I don't eat any meat or dairy.

At some point, I will write up my current eating plan. (Past ones can be found in the food and nutrition section of the blog.)

Based on my experiments, I do think that eating a good diet helps with brain functioning, including things like brain fog and anxiety, but I don't know for sure. My latest experiment is probably the most extreme so far, and also the most successful. I had gained 70 pounds since adopting a sedentary lifestyle, and have lost all that extra weight since May.

7 January, 2017 - 11:02

If anyone is thinking about going vegan and feels maybe he is going to be hungry or gonna miss something in his diet, please take a look at my album of food , it's easy !!!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1761430577477881.1073741842.10...

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: