Random Words Category

6 replies [Last post]
Yan's picture
Yan

My current speed is around 30 words/5 min. I'm using English as my language but I'm having some trouble because English is not my first language and there are no french competitors.

Any tips on how to increase the speed of memorization?

Josh Cohen's picture
Webmaster
I found some lists of the

I found some lists of the most common English words and was going to make a script to practice it. Haven't had a chance to do it yet though...

How are you practicing them?

climbformemory's picture
Grand Master of MemoryNational Championship Winner
Yan, To increase speed, try

Yan,

To increase speed, try grouping words together in 2s or 3s (what is your current method?). Maybe you do that alread... 5min words is something I practice a lot and I found that just pure practice will get you speed since you get better at creating images quicker. For a foreign english speaker, for complicated words, it makes it easier to just break the word down into something it sounds like that you ARE familiar with. I find myself doing that a lot and it helps a lot.

Yan's picture
Yan
Hey Nelson, Thanks a lot for

Hey Nelson,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm using this site for the training.

http://www.nakedscience.com/articles/memory%20stunts/random%20number%20i...

What I do is try to run one word in 2 to 3 s. If I can't, I just move on. After each 10 images, I do a quick recap of all the previous images. I'm aiming for a speed of atleast 50 words/5 min.

I've developed special images for common prefixes and suffixes like words ending with "d", "s", "ing"(for the verbs) and "less", "ment", "full", etc.

There are some words though which I have difficulty breaking down and create images quickly for instance "embezzlement".

Also I'm having trouble with ghost images. So I think I'll have to develop more journeys for this category.

I think I'll modify my method and aim for 3 words in one go. Hope this will speed things up.

climbformemory's picture
Grand Master of MemoryNational Championship Winner
Oh! I forgot! One of themost

Oh! I forgot! One of themost important things I changed about my approach to speed memorization is that I now review before the time is up. For 5 minutes words I go 3 minutes straight just flying through the words, trying not to worry if they've "stuck" or not (I can do this comfortably because I know I will see the words one more time before I finish). Then after 3 minutes I go back and quickly recite everything (surprisingly, I know them already pretty well, but seeing them one more time imprints them further in my memory). Then if I have time left over I just memorize a few more. These days I usually speed through 60-70 words or so, review them, then do an extra 10 before time is up.

Give it a go and see if it helps. Try not reviewing so often, just go for a good while, then quickly recap.

Yan's picture
Yan
Thanks for the follow up

Thanks for the follow up mate! You've given me new strategies on which to work. I'm changing my approach now. I'll go for speed in the first 3 minutes, binding 3 words on a route point and then review everything during the last 2 minutes to imprint them further.

Cheers,
Yan

anon's picture
random words event

don't forget that in practicing random words it is verbal, so when you recall it might be best to say the words outloud.. at least I find that it could cause a mistake if you are accustomed to writing it back instead of saying it. this is referring to the US Championship.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Memory Competitions and Tournaments

User login

For Schools

Students and teachers: fill out this form to get assistance with forming a memory club at your school along with its own section on ArtOfMemory.com. It's free!