7 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 18 September, 2012 - 10:01

Software for Taking Notes

22 December, 2013 - 07:10
r30
r30's picture

PDF X-Change Viewer

All materials for my studying are available in pdf format, so I just use this application to attach sticky notes (comments) to the pdf. It also allows to highlight text, insert shapes, create a table of contents. When reading a topic I useually place it in a memory palace. But in order not to forget what I placed in the memory palace, I need to revise it at least one time. So I attach a sticky note to the text where I write which place/scene I used to accomodate the thought expressed in the text and how exactly I bound the thought to an object in that place/scene.

Afterwards by going through these notes it is also easy to merge these locations in structurised order into single memory palace (because the most suitable places for different thoughts to be accomodated might not be yet located in a single memory palace).

15 January, 2014 - 05:22

Very clever !
As a scholar I am a big fan of PDF X-Change Viewer but never considered this kind of use.
I will definitely give it a try.

Following this idea, I am also wondering if one smart use would be to convert images to pdf and then using sticky notes to put content in your memory palace. Of course, it recquires the willing to consider pictures as good condidate to build memory palace.

Edit : To answer the main question, Why not mindmapping softwares ? Personally, I take all my notes with like that and I know a lot who do the same. My point of view is that It diminish the number of words to write to get meaningfull notes, and this time can be used to actively organise them. The drawback is that it needs a certain amount of experience to do this easily.

16 January, 2014 - 01:17

I played around with "Stickies" (not Sticky Notes) Word and Excel but now I simplified note taking to MindJet Mindmanager. Basically I have one main map with sub branches linked to sub-maps. It's compatible with Word, Excel, Outlook, PDF, got a sketch option, can export tons of formats,... so it removes all the mess of using too many programs at the same time.

21 May, 2014 - 08:14

I use FiiNote for Android from fiistudio.com.

I can recommend it if you're speedwriting, e.g. with a pen.

1 August, 2014 - 11:08

I've become addicted to using Livescribe and their Pulse Pen family for note-taking. It's a custom pen/paper that allows you not only to write notes (and easily share them later with others), but it records everything that was being said (audio) in tandem with what you're writing. You can then go back and add in notes later (in different colors if necessary) to pick up things you may have missed. Their pens also have a bevvy of additional functionality for sharing notes with others as well. I'm not sure how I operated without Livescribe before.

It also occurs to me that using a modified version of the Cornell System for note-taking may be useful. One could use the additional "cue" column for writing down images/codes and loci to speed up the memorization process (or make it easier to do quick reviews of loci prior to a test.)

5 August, 2014 - 01:19

Very interesting ! Thanks for sharing.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: