Speed Reading Apps: Spritz, Spreeder

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 19 March, 2014 - 13:24

Speed Reading Apps: Spritz, Spreeder

I'm really excited about a new speed reading app called Spritz. The only drawback is that it only allows readers to go up to 600wpm at the moment.

Spreeder also looks good. I can read at 1,000 wpm there without it feeling too much like "skimming", though it's possible to miss an important word like a number when blinking -- edit: see below. I think it would be better if the full text were written below it so that one could look up any words that were missed.

Those apps seem to break the speed limits mentioned in this article.

Check them out and let me know what you think...

Edit: I did some searching online and found some more apps, which I'll link to below. I think the words are missed at 1,000wpm speed not because of blinking, but because certain kinds of text don't work at this speed. I just tried it with some text from the wiki and I think that it's too fast for lists and numbers in general. One improvement that could be made is to automatically slow down half or quarter the speed when encountering things like numbers and lists. Maybe it would also help readers if the apps would slightly pause at punctuation.

Edit 2: on further experimentation, I think the 1,000wpm speed is skimming. When using their simple-English examples, it works, but nothing beyond "skimming" when using normal text, like this random example from Wikipedia.

19 March, 2014 - 13:53

Here are some other apps:

See also rapid serial visual presentation.

Edit: there are some people who are skeptical.

21 March, 2014 - 07:23

This is an amazing app. I have just tested it on the official website yet, but I can't wait to try and read a book with it. With the right technique for structuring and remembering a books content, this can become a huge improvement in reading. Thanks for sharing, Josh.

21 March, 2014 - 12:36

Has anyone used this stuff to increase their speed at binary/digits/cards?

22 April, 2014 - 02:57

Just using some spritz like apps on android. I think they are pretty good too.
It is a pretty exciting development in reading!!

I've upped my speed to 350/400 wpm without skimming. I don't think I would enjoy reading a book this way but for educational and informative stuff it is pretty good.

Any one else trying this. I wonder if there are other uses for this form of reading that would apply to mnemonists?

Learning pegs etc could be handy or maybe as an ultra fast flashcard system

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hey Josh, can novel uses of this be built into the mnemotechnics.org app??

thanks,

Sea

22 April, 2014 - 18:04

I have a Google chrome app called Spreed. It works well.

An interesting article of caution though:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140422113428.htm

23 April, 2014 - 13:10

seamagu wrote:

Hey Josh, can novel uses of this be built into the mnemotechnics.org app??

Yes... more news on that soon...

1 August, 2014 - 11:39

I've been using RSVP related technologies for several months now. I use a handful of bookmarklets for reading news articles on the web, but have really been enjoying using it on my Kindle. Typically I use much higher speeds (800wpm) for fiction and works I read for entertainment, while I'm still hovering around 450-550 for more technical minded material which is a bit more dense and requires some occasional thinking while I'm reading. I cover a large number of the available apps and technology in a blog post here: Speed Reading on Web and Mobile.

After more than a month of use, I find myself actually reading physical text much faster than before too. It was almost disconcerting when I realized that I was doing it the first time after having only read using RSVP for several weeks.

31 May, 2015 - 22:08

'Spreed', good Chrome extension.
Another good extension is 'Read fast'

But the one I use is 'Sprint Reader'. Search in google store. That's also very good, since it embeds in the right-click context menu.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: