Training Regimen

8 replies [Last post]
magicquin's picture

Hi All,

Been going through the forums for the last couple of days( and wow is there a wealth of information here), although there are quite a few posts regarding this, i was wondering if anyone has a training schedule they could share with us. in this sense i'm not specifically talking about what times of the day you train but more along the lines of a guide line regarding how you would recommend someone train as if they were training for competitions.

for example:

1) start with memorizing x amount of numbers(pushing this each day)
2) x amount of abstract words (push this each day)
3) memorize cards, starting with 3 then moving up till you are able to do the whole deck(then work on timing)

the above might sound funny, but i suppose i like structure(due to sports and the like), i have always found that having a training "structure" produces far better results. Now i do realize that each person is different, however it would be great to hear from some of the veterans.

thanks for reading and look forward to hearing from everyone.

strickvl's picture
Re: Training Regimen

I'd also be interested in learning more about this. I think I'd like to get some basic techniques and skills working before I start on some bigger projects I have planned.

Firstly, I suppose, what are the basic techniques that everyone should manage to be accomplished at first?

major system
peg system
loci method?

Any others?

And then, how to practice them...

strickvl's picture

Seems that http://img.mappio.com/guest/mnemotechniques-Large.jpg offers a good summary of all the different techniques available.

But where to start?

magicquin's picture

would be very interesting to see what the other forum users do for exercises, there are so many systems out there, but i don't really seem to find any type of "best practice" training recommendations.

magicquin's picture

and in case anyone does ask, i am looking at competing in our South African Memory Comp next year.

Haplo's picture

first check this wiki getting started... Wink

Kinma's picture

strickvl wrote:

Firstly, I suppose, what are the basic techniques that everyone should manage to be accomplished at first?

major system
peg system
loci method?

Any others?

And then, how to practice them...

The MOST important thing to learn well is to create associations. In most cases, when learning something new or memorizing something, you create a link from something you know to the thing you want to memorize.

Take a simple peg system, like the number-shape list (see wiki), learn the list and then use it to associate items from your grocery list with. If you do that well, you have a baseline knowledge of associating nouns with nouns.

The major system turns numbers into nouns. Since you know how to memorize nouns, with the number system you now know how to memorize numbers.

The loci method is basically another peg list that you create. Use the list of pegs to associate other stuff with.
Yes, you need to know all the techniques. Try them out, become proficient in them and then choose which ones work better for you than others.

Mikeproject2009's picture

Hi
All the tips and techniques are great but you will need to stay motivated as after a while it will become a problem. I would recommend adding daily learning motivational 30 minutes hypnosis session so you do not get bored. Boredom is one of the typical human traps. we want to achieve a lot, we are excited and after a few weeks, months we are tired and bored. We lose power and we want to rest, this is quite normal that is why reprogramming your brain is equally important as hard work. starting learning smart. Reprogram your brain like any other hardware and stay focused on your goal. I think this will help you a lot. (that is just my humble opinion)

Let me know if you need any more info

Mike

magicquin's picture

thanks guys, these are all really awesome training tips, that wiki page is beyond awesome. i think for most people getting started with memory techniques is difficult, specially since there is so much info out there. thanks again guys and will definitely keep you up to date.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Memory Competitions and Tournaments

User login

For Schools

Students and teachers: fill out this form to get assistance with forming a memory club at your school along with its own section on ArtOfMemory.com. It's free!