What would be a good way to remember 2000 pages of a heavy biology textbook until the end of the year?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 2 October, 2016 - 04:06

What would be a good way to remember 2000 pages of a heavy biology textbook until the end of the year?

Good day, everybody,
Since the beginning of September I had a plan to memorize around 2000 pages of a very detailed biology textbook with a lot of new words and concepts. However, for past four weeks I have noticed that I am making very little progress. Since there are very many things to remember, it sometimes takes around thirty minutes to memorize two pages and that's not the pace that I am willing to go with.
Currently I am writing notes to Anki while reading and after I finish a section of a chapter, I try to memorize everything that I had written in the flash cards. I had noticed that it is a lot harder to think of proper mnemonics for biological concepts, compared to language studies. While I would have very little problems memorizing one hundred German words in an hour, it takes me a lot of time to really memorize concepts. I tried remembering the first letters of key words and making some funny images out of them, then recreating the concept word by word, but sometimes it is quite hard to do something like that (for example, if there are multiple of the same letters or if the same letter combination had already been memorized for a different thing).
Another problem that I encountered is that I have to remember very many lists of things. List of compounds of viruses' reproduction cycles, organs' systems and such. They take ages for me.
I am hesitant to use memory journeys, since some lists are only five items long. Wouldn't it be irrational to think of a place or route just to remember such a small thing?
I also had some problems with numbers, but I think the best solution would be to develop a list of 100 mnemonics for each number 0 - 99 and use that.

Also, I would be glad to hear your opinions about how feasible it is to finish that many pages with tight schedule (I can spend only around 1-2 hours a day, a little more on weekends).

TL;DR
Goal: memorize 2000 pages of scientific text;
Deadline: The end of 2016 year;
Available time: ~1 hour a day;
Currently facing problems: hard to memorize lists, complex concepts, even if I understand them;

3 October, 2016 - 14:07

Have you seen the pages about how to memorize a textbook and how to memorize a book? There are links to more discussions about it on those pages. There is also an FAQ on how do I memorize a book?

If it's difficult to keep up with your memorization schedule, maybe try reducing the amount of information that you memorize from each page. About 200 hours (?) to memorize 2,000 pages of facts seems very ambitious. You would need to memorize 10 pages per hour, not including reviewing the facts.

2 January, 2017 - 17:14

I memorised 1500 pages for an exam. I used notes that resumed my work, and and used synesthesia with the Locci method.

I walked mentally in my memory palace, foolowing the chapters and debate with the notions and diagrams.. when in doubt, i pushed a lille further. I get bacdk to the core lessons only when i was sure i didn't remember correctly.

5 January, 2017 - 00:17

Quote:

and used synesthesia with the Locci method.

That sounds interesting. Could you explain how that technique works for you?

5 January, 2017 - 04:41

Let's say to memorise 10 words. The simplest way do do that, without Locci, is to use a story to link them. To put emphasis on the very items you want to mémorise (and not of the other elements of the story), you use sysnesthesia.

The words are not just words or visual items. They got a 3Dshape, an odor, they make noise, music , they got odd détails, they crack jokes etc.

So, in the story, the items are 'scintillating'. You can easily pick them, remenber them etc.

Then, when we become good at it (when the neuroplasticity of the brain had created or reactivated the synaptic zones dedicated to it) you can beguin to link two synesthesic images to remember more abstract things.

Ex: The capital of France is Paris

I imagine an old fashioned Franck warrior who perish defending the Eifel tower, with a luxuary of akward détails.

Those techniques does not only helps you to remember. They boost the way you use your brain to remember, and they gives you Tools to improve the way you use Locci or other methods.

5 January, 2017 - 13:56

So you mean a kind of artificial synesthesia? I was curious if you were using natural synesthetic associations (like numbers that have colors). I've heard of a couple of memorizers who use assistance from natural synesthesia when memorizing. It is a very interesting topic.

5 January, 2017 - 14:20

Training to have an 'artificial synesthesia ' (not so artificial when you have the habbit to develop it) is one of the precious gift training can gives you.

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.

Related content: